My favorite time of year is here. I love fall and all the things that come with it. I have been so excited for the weather to cool down and to start making soups, stews, chili etc. This is one of my favorite soups. It hit the spot for all of us. I think its a must to serve it in a bread bowl.
- 2-3 broccoli heads, coarsely chop off the florets
- 9 c. water
- 5-6 Tbsp. bouillon granules
- 1 cube butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped in food processor
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cup half & half
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I don’t use pre-shredded for this, too much starch. I like to hand shred a block of cheese. Trust me on this)
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese
In a large pot over medium heat, bring water to a boil and add bouillon granules and broccoli, reduce heat and simmer broccoli for about 10 minutes. In a separate skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the flour to the onions and stir well, forming a thick paste.
Gradually add the cream and whisk until thick. Add this mixture to the broccoli mixture in the pot and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add shredded cheese and Velveeta, stirring until melted. Make sure once you add the cheese, you melt it on low so that it melts smooth.
Recipe Source: Favorite Family Recipes